Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
- Esther called the Jews to fast (doing w/o both food and water) for 3 days, while she sought to uncover the wicked plot of Haman to destroy the Jewish people.
- Moses fasted for 40 days going w/o food and drinking only water. He did this on 2 occasions while receiving the 10 commandments.
- Elijah fasted 40 days after defeating the prophets of Baal.
- Daniel fasted 21 days while seeking God on behalf of Israel and altered the course of nations.
- David fasted.
- The Children of Israel were often called upon to fast (usually either 24 hours or 7 days).
- Jesus fasted 40 days, while being tempted in the wilderness.
- The early church fasted.
- We should fast as well for spiritual breakthrough!
Jesus said, "This kind." What did he mean by this? Well, you have to study Scripture in its context. The context is that of the demon-possessed boy. The kind of demon that possessed this child was so strong that only prayer and fasting could break its hold and see the child delivered. Our country has many strongholds that need pulling down, but it is going to take fasting and prayer to see them broken! Perhaps, your family has strongholds that need breaking that only fasting and prayer will see them broken. We wrestle against principalities and powers [that is literally a demonic heirarchy], according to Ephesians 6. If we want to gain victory and authority over them, we must fast and pray.
- Fast and pray for revival to come.
- Fast and pray for our leaders.
- Fast and pray for our homes.
- Fast and pray for a national revival and mass turning to God.
Notice, it says fast and pray, not "pray fast." We need to take time to fast and pray, if we will see God move in power. What are some strongholds you would like to see broken? Are you willing to fast and pray to see it happen?
You might be thinking, "I'd die; I would absolutely die, if I fasted." More than likely you won't. We could all stand to eat less and pray more. We won't die from fasting, and science has actually proven that certain periods of fasting can actually be healthy and invigorating, as it gives your body time to rest and detoxify. What fasting does do and say to God is this, "Lord, I can't live by bread alone. I don't want to live without you and your power in and on my life. I'd rather have you Jesus than anything." It's also is a great way to learn how to say no to our flesh and yes to Christ. Are you willing to lay it all on the line for God's Spirit to move in you, through you and around you? Do you want revival and spiritual breakthrough more than anything else? Remember, "This kind goes not out except by prayer and fasting!"