And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Today, I want us to notice what he says their in verse 1, "You hath he quickened [made alive; brought to life]." We were born dead - stone cold dead - in trespasses and sins. Now, we are all familiar with the word "trespass." We've all seen "No Trespassing" signs. Each and everyone of us have trespassed on territory that only belongs to God. God's word gives us at least 10 great land masses in Exodus 20 that we "shall not" trespass upon. Yet, we have.
- We have had other God's before Him.
- We have made graven images. We have devoted our lives [our time, talents and treasures] to others and other things besides God.
- We have taken God's name in vain both literally and symbolically by how we've lived our lives.
- We have not kept the Sabbath day holy. We have forsaken the assembly and not taken time from our business and worldliness to honor God.
- We have not honored our Father and Mother.
- We have stolen. We've cheated to get ahead.
- We have murdered. You might be saying, "WAIT A MINUTE! I GOT YOU THERE! I'VE NEVER MURDERED!" Well, let's think about it a minute. Jesus equates hatred with murder in Matthew 5. We have murdered and thought to ourselves, "I'm gonna kill him/her." AND ALL OF US ARE GUILTY OF MURDERING THE PRECIOUS SON OF GOD!
- We have committed adultery. Again, Jesus equates adultery with lust in Matthew 5. Whether youve actually committed the act or not, you've desired it in your heart.
- We have borne false witness. We've told untruths. And
- We have all coveted the possessions and/or positions of our friends, family, co-workers, acquaintenances, neighbors, and yes, fellow church members. WE ARE GUILTY ACCORDING TO GOD's LAW!
We were dead. We were born that way! The original sin of Adam had been passed down from generation to generation, and we have sinned (Romans 5:12). Think about being dead for a minute. When you're dead, you can't do anything. A dead fish is carried along by the current and can't swim against it. A dead fish is diseased, rottening, decayed, and stinks. THAT'S HOW WE WERE BEFORE CHRIST CAME IN!!!
We have been quickened. Christ interrupted our world. He invaded our space! He touched us, and brought us to life! He is making something of our lives. We just need to rest in Him and surrender to His touch. Then we need to start living in light of that touch! We now have a new life both in time and eternity! We have a new quality of life that is abundant (John 10:10) and eternal (Romans 6:23). Have you been born again (John 3:3). Have you been freed indeed by the Son of God? Do you possess this quality of life?
My favorite 2 words in all the Bible are found in verse 4 of our text - "BUT GOD!"
- We were dead - but God!
- We were lifeless - but God!
- We were hopeless - but God!
- We were helpless - but God!
- We were sinners - but God! We are now saints! Are you a saint or an ain't?
We are now alive and full of it [LIFE THAT IS!]! We now have hope in Christ; we have the help of the Holy Spirit! We are no longer sinners but saints, already seated in Heavenly places! SO REJOICE EVERMORE! LET THE JOY OF THE LORD BE YOUR STRENGTH! AND REST IN WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST TODAY!